Short ribs, in short, are an indulgent treat for anyone who loves beef. They're one of our favourite cuts of beef, so give them a try with this simple yet delicious recipe!
- 5-6 x Beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp x Vegetable oil
- 1x Onions
- 2x Carrots
- 2x Celery
- 2 tbsp x Tomato paste
- 500ml x Red wine
- 500ml x Beef stock
- 3 cloves x Garlic
- Herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- 1.5tsp each x Salt and pepper
How to make amazing beef short ribs
- Preheat the oven to 180° C
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Next you’ll brown the short ribs in a little oil over medium - high heat.
- Remove the ribs and set them aside. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook them for a few minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomato paste to the vegetables, stir it well and cook a few minutes longer
- Then add the short ribs and any juices to the pot. Pour in the wine and beef stock. Add all the herbs to the pot along with the garlic. Bring it to a boil, cover, and into the oven it goes.
- Cook until the short ribs are tender, about 2.5 hours. Once the short ribs are cooked, cover them with tinfoil.
- Strain the sauce into a gravy strainer and remove the fat from the surface. Place the gravy into a saucepan, bring it to a boil and keep it at a strong simmer until it’s reduced by 1/3.
- Season with salt and pepper. This makes an amazing sauce that’s flavoured with fresh thyme and other herbs, vegetables, garlic, and a richness from the red wine. It’s incredible!
- Serve the ribs over mashed potatoes and top with gravy!