- 2 Gilligan's Farm lamb shanks
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp freshly ground cinnamon (try grinding a cinnamon stick in a coffee grinder if you don't have a spice grinder for this)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 3 tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp good quality honey
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 x 400g tins of tomatoes
- 6 leaves of fresh mint or coriander, chopped
Remove the lamb from the fridge, pat try with a paper towel and leave to rest for 20 minutes or until it has reached room temperature.
Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish or a tagine. Season the lamb shanks generously with salt and pepper and brown them on all sides in the casserole dish. Remove and leave to one side.
Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until they're soft and start to colour. Add the garlic, cinnamon, coriander, saffron and ginger.
Now add the lamb shanks, honey, tomato puree and tins of tomatoes until the shanks are covered. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and place in the oven for 2 hours at 160 degrees.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the freshly chopped mint or coriander before serving. Delicious with couscous, pomegranate seeds, lime wedges and creamy greek yogurt!